Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Chrismation Date

It's now official: God willing, I will be chrismated as a member of the Holy Orthodox Church on Sunday 7 October! The chrismation will take place at 9 AM, immediately before the 9:30 Liturgy, at Holy Cross.

As some of you know, arranging the date was not easy. With my uneventful life, I can be available any Sunday this year, but my sponsor, the other catechumen, and his sponsor all have extensive travel plans in late summer and early fall. The scheduling process was complicated by the fact that we were all distracted with planning, executing, and recovering from the Parish Life Conference of the Eastern Dioceses, which was hosted by Holy Cross this year.

Shortly before the PLC, three of my fellow catechumens were chrismated. I was watching closely, knowing that I'll be next! In the first photo, as all three catechumens kneel before the iconostasis, Jack receives absolution from Fr. Gregory (they're both hidden by Jack's sponsor, Cal). In the second photo, Doane gets her tonsure.



After the Liturgy, Brandon's sponsor Keith hosted a party to celebrate the chrismations. Reader Michael took these photos at the party.

4 comments:

Mari said...

When you become official will they put you to work and complicate your schedule?

Shawn S. said...

Congratulations! I know how this has been a bit of a patience building effort! :) -Sara

abuian said...

Cool! I'll try to keep the date free :-)

Arimathean said...

When you become official will they put you to work and complicate your schedule?
I'm afraid they're already doing that . . .